Requests for Assistance
If you have an emergency, immediately DIAL 911 or contact any Law Enforcement or Emergency Management office in your area.
Black Diamond Search and Rescue operates under a Memorandum of Understanding with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM). Black Diamond responds to requests from VDEM for searches in southwestern Virginia, and elsewhere in the state.
The Agency Having Jurisdiction locally, that is, your local Law Enforcement Agency, Emergency Manager, and Fire Department can request the assistance of Black Diamond by contacting the Virginia Department of Emergency Management at 1-800-468-8892.
When you call 911, please have some basic information available when requesting assistance:
- Who you are, and what telephone number you will be using, so that you can be contacted for further information?
- Are you with an Agency (Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS)?
- Who will be the primary Point of Contact for the search?
- Who is missing (name, age, gender, general description, clothing worn)?
- What are the circumstances when the person went missing? Is this a Child / Dementia / Alzheimer’s / Autistic / Hiker / Hunter individual?
- How long has the person been missing?
- When did the event happen, or, when was it discovered?
- Where was the missing person last seen or where do you suspect the person could be now?
- What actions have been taken before requesting Search and Rescue?